Monday, May 08, 2006

Vocalist I am not..

When I was younger, I use to think I had a great singing voice. That was until I recorded it and played it back. The only place that I sing my heart out now is in the shower. It’s surprising as to how many of us think we can sing, when honestly, we can only croak.

Throughout the audition, I realize this, and my heart goes out to any person singing badly on stage, singing without realizing that half of the people in the hall would rather don earmuffs. What we hear is not what comes out. According to a friend, this is (*boring science tone*) due to the fact that we hear one octave lower (or was it higher) than our actually voice that we project.

I watched in tears (of laughter not sadness ok?) as a guy (tall and macho) rendered out “Rasa Sayang Eh”(Feel Love Eh). Gawd, why? What on earth made him do so? There were a few who could not differentiate the various minor and major keys (it’s the octave-blabber blabber I tell you) thus producing the sound of a person going through the cleansing ritual of some far out tribe in the Amazon.

Still, I envy them. I bet that some of them have no idea how they sound, thus giving them a false sense of bravado. Man, if only they could hear themselves on playback. Till then, I would have my own little karaoke session in my toilet. Singing (or croaking in this case) is a great way to release stress – and keep all those thoughts on monsters, spirits and ghosts at bay.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Hey, I was told that I could sing very well. My dad used to comment that my singing can drive an elephant up the tree. Not bad eh? Hahaha!

9:49 AM  
Blogger dee said...

Adrian - I admire your ability of driving an elephant up a tree..

..not the singing.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Thanks! I feel the same too. Its not easy to drive an elephant up a tree. It took years of training and relentless effort to achieve that.

11:32 AM  
Blogger dee said...

Adrian - Hurrah!

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home