Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Beauty which I fail to grasp..

For some unknown force, I was glued watching The Swan two hour special recently. My fascination? Seeing women after women going under the knife to emerge as an *ahem* swan. Thus trancelike I attached myself to my seat watching the horror that they endured all in the name of beauty.

After their transformation, they then compete aka pageant like style to see who arise to become the ultimate swan.

....

Please!

Some of these women in my humble opinion don't even need plastic surgery. What they do need is a makeover in the self esteem department.

The irony of it is the superficiality of the whole show. For example, contestant 1, married returns to her husband. She is happy, more confident, and (now) extremely gorgeous. Her husband is overjoyed seeing his wife who is (now) extremely gorgeous. She exclaims that their marriage has become better, they communicate more..you get the drift..

!!!

I watch in puzzlement as to how the whole chapter unfolds and it makes me wonder as to what extent will this last. I just hope that the dose of surgery somewhat zapped some confidence into them. At the end of the day, until one is happy with oneself, only then, can one be contented.

Then there is The Bachelor...

Let's not get me started with The Bachelor...

P/S: I am not saying that plastic surgery is a bad thing. I just don't see it as the solution.

7 Comments:

Blogger Merv Kwok said...

A confident woman is way more beautiful than a physically appealing woman in my opinion. For the lady who's marriage improved after her cosmetic surgery, that's kind of sad since it really is just superficial.

Oh well :P

5:40 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

The Swan was recently featured in one of those 'TV's Most Controversial Moments' programmes.

Man, it really made me want to watch it!

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know lah...I felt ten times better after I got dental surgery but then mine was not for beauty it was for health :D

10:16 PM  
Blogger David Tay said...

beauty is so outside...seesh -_-

10:43 AM  
Blogger dee said...

Merv - Yes, well, confident people can be mesmerising...

Jay - You must watch it as it's erm, superficially entertaining?

Aysh - Lol. There is nothing wrong to plastic surgery. A friend had it, thanks to an accident.

David - We do tend to judge from outer appearances after all.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Ianfluenza said...

That shows how superficial the society had become - till the point where it makes a significant factor to the well-being of a marriage.

But then again, who doesn't appreciate beauty? It is only wrong if we give too much priority to appearances at the expense of compatibility and inner beauty...

Ah, who am I so say such self-righteous words? I'm shallow too...

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i can get those limpy arms of mine and those irritating fats in my body ar... in a super fast way and guaranty beauty.... why not? lol but i dare not try *head back to gym* :(

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home